Tuesday, September 27, 2011

The achievement of desire

In Richard Rodriguez's The Achievement of Desire I found several points that I could relate to. Mainly being part of a working class family and also the deep separation of his family life and his school life. Similar to Rodriguez I also have been a part of a migrant family. I grew up in northern Michigan in the middle of a cherry orchard, down the street from grape vineyards and an acre away from apple trees. The community I was surrounded by was full of other migrant families who were also accustomed to moving at the end of every season to follow where the work was. Seeing my mother, father, aunts and uncles go through the struggles they did I realized early on that I wanted something different for my future.

In class several other classmates shared their stories about the help they received from their parents throughout their education. One girl even mentioned that her father would help her with physics homework. I found that amazing. I can never imagine asking my father for help with any sort of mathematical problem. His knowledge of math goes as far as multiplication and division. The same goes for my mother. I always took it that my education was my responsibility. Throughout senior year I researched colleges, I applied for schools and scholarships, I made sure I had everything I needed for a smooth transition to a new chapter of my life. Although they were absent with assisting me throughout my education they always applauded me for going as far as I did on my own. There are days now where they still apologize for not being capable of helping me. I never have and never will hold it against them. In the end I still made it this far and they are proud.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your personal experience. Where in northern MI did you grow up? Traverse City (cherry orchards gave me the hint). I grew up in southeastern MI near ann arbor.

    I like how you referenced the class and pointed to a specific difference between you and other classmates. Sometimes students (and teachers--including myself) forget that although the classroom makes it seem as though we are all "the same" and learning "the same." But this just is not true. We all come from different backgrounds and are more or less familiar with different expectations and encouragements.

    I admire your initiative you took in responsiblity for your education.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did grow up in Traverse City! That was a great guess. I never traveled to Ann Arbor. Heard it was a great college town though. Grand Rapids was as far down south I ever went.

    ReplyDelete